We make right on the episode we lost with Akua Walters by making a new one and it's even better than the first time! Akua comes with visions of the National Progressive Party, but also to talk politics in general, for what makes a very thoughtful and unapologetic episode.
- Life in a Colonized Country
- The Monroe Doctrine & Foreign Policy
- The Narcissism of the Rich
- Falling into Conservative Takes by Accident
- Organizing for Third Parties
- && MORE
Go check out Akua Walters:
This week we step in to the bizarro alternate universe of European politics and kick with our spiritual podcasting twins at Corner Späti. We discover what is the same and what is different in the realms where you have more than 2 parties, and some of them use the "Socialism" word.
- The Global Rise of Fascism
- Progressives to be Excited about in Europe
- International Resistance Movements
- Multi-Party Systems in General
- The East/West Divide in Germany
- How Big of a Victory is Sinn Fein's Growth
- & MORE
Go check out Corner Späti:
When you ask people how they started moving left politically, a large number of them will at some point mention a certain sci-fi franchise that has capture imaginations for decades by presenting the possibility of a better society. We're talking, of course, about Star Trek! And who better to talk about Star Trek with us than progressive champion and hardcore Trekkie, Cory Archibald, the chair of Brand New Congress.
We Get Into:
- Predictions Star Trek Made about the Future
- What Does "Post-Scarcity" Mean?
- Who Would the Captains have Voted For?
- Is Star Trek "Socialist" Per Se?
- Is The Orville better than Star Trek??
Engage with Cory/BNC:
Often times it's not the President or the US Congress who is going to make the calls that affect you most, it's people like your County Commissioners. Mariah Parker is a democratic socialist County Commissioner in Athens/Clarke County, Georgia, and after you hear her speak you'll be thinking about how you can elect someone like her in your neighborhood!
- Prison Abolition
- Programming/De-Programming Violence
- Access to Mental Health Resources
- Restorative Justice
- Getting Access to The Means && MORE
Follow Mariah and get more non-stop great takes from her:
Shaniyat Chowdhury is back in the studio with us and it's like the end of the sports movie when the hero's team is suddenly beating the "unbeatable" home team. The results of Shan's incredible campaign speak for themselves in this fun and encouraging episode that serves as a powerful reminder of what we, the people, can accomplish together.
- Keeping Busy in Quarantine
- Thinking Outside the Box with Virtual Campaign Events
- Where are the People who Endorsed Bloomberg Now?
- Ideas Around Wealth/Inequality
- Tinderbanking?? && MORE
Get involved with Shan's Campaign here:
Mary Hollywood from the incredible "At The Crossroads" cast is finally here on the show - talking about what can mobilize and motivate people to join the fight for change over the long term.
- Uber//Lyft drivers and gig workers fight to survive.
- Things that “should be above politics” but never are.
- Is there a “progressive movement” in America, and where should it put its energy?
- How much cash determines whether you are “qualified” even in left wing circles.
- Can the DSA coalesce the progressive movement? Do they want to?
- How exploitation grounds the entire economy.
- Where SHOULD people be working.
Let go of the little stuff and join an elevated conversation about complacency and the future of progressive politics
It's time to stand up against the grip of global capitalism and inequality by any means necessary... in Tonight We Riot, the first Means Interactive-backed Videogame! In an era where many videogames are accused of being "too political" for minor acts of inclusiveness, Tonight We Riot took the opposite stance and became one of the most unapologically left-wing videogames ever made. This is no coincidence, as developers Stephen and Ted have strong political views themselves that we were lucky enough to talk to them about along the way:
- Being Reviewed by Conservative Publications
- Loukanikos, the Riot Dog, Deep Lore
- Growing Up Conservative
- What Kinds of Games Would a Socialist Society Make?
- The Toxicity of the Games Industry and Breaking that Mold
Check out Tonight We Riot:
Virginia's 11th Congressional District has a competitor to be reckoned with in Zainab Mohsini! Zainab is a true voice of the working class who has a remarkable life full of stories and lived experiences that have shaped her bold political ideas. In this compelling episode we dive into a variety of important topics including:
- Seeking Asylum from War-Torn Afghanistan
- Learning English by Watching The Simpsons
- Being Too Poor to be Woke
- A Bizarre Story about Americorps
- Political Double-Standards & MORE
Get involved with Zainab's Campaign here:
Let's go local. Like... REALLY local. Maryam Ahmad drops by to talk about a baffling local dispute that's put a bright spotlight on the politics of her district.
We also discuss the financial challenges of running for office, what the heck a county commissioner does, grading the Trump/Kemp response to the virus, standoffs with the developer community, and where health and public policy meet.
and donate here: https://secure.actblue.com/donate/friends-of-maryam-1
Breaking through the idea that nothing is possible can be hard. Dr. Arati Kreibich is here with us to talk about her journey to believing that change is possible in her district, and in becoming the figurehead to lead it as a candidate seeking to remove a bad incumbent in NJ's 5th.
- Establishment Dems Cozying Up to Corporations
- Challenging Entrenched Powers
- Trump's Enabling of White Nationalism
- The Insidiousness of Fascism and Systemic Racism
- Pandemic Policy & MORE
Get involved with Arati's Campaign here: